Staying positive just as a person, never mind as a model, doesn’t come as easy to some as it does to others. The fashion industry is highly competitive and unstable, making it very difficult for us models to stay upbeat. However, it is precisely when you’re not booking work, or the kind of work that you would like to be booking, that you need to stay positive. The more you complain and are negative, the more negativity you will bring into your life; and you will find it near impossible to reach your goals. Similarly, if you stop being a moaning-minnie and change your attitude to that of a more positive one, even the jobs you used to hate will become enjoyable.
I love the morning, I always have. A new morning is a new chance at life and a new chance for me to begin whatever it is that I have been putting off. In my experience, it was taking the time in the morning to set myself up for a good day that I began to see myself starting to book work, and work that I enjoy. So here are a few tips based on my own morning routine, for all those models who have found themselves in a negative slump.
- Wake up and say thank you. Go through a list of things that you are grateful for that the day holds. For example, you may be shooting web catalogue, and yes it’s not the most enjoyable job and it’s exhausting, but you’re working and that’s wonderful. So say thank you for that work.
- Eat a good breakfast. I’m not talking a huge spread of cakes or something (although who doesn’t like cake for breakfast?), I just mean something healthy that will keep your blood sugar levels stable. On the most basic level, in terms of why it’s important to eat a good breakfast, if your blood sugar level hasn’t plummeted it’s much easier to stay happy and in a positive frame of mind.
- Exercise. Stretch, go to gym, swim, go for a walk; it doesn’t matter what you do, just do something. I like to think of my time exercising as a little gift to myself before a hectic day of running around to castings or work. It’s also a wonderful time to ground yourself if you use it as a form of meditation.
- Choose an outfit that makes you happy. I know this may seem frivolous, but it really is such a simple way to add some form of joy to your life. Don’t worry about what other people think, just wear whatever will motivate you to give of your best for the day.
- Write a few affirmations for yourself of what you would like to attract into your life, or what you would like to affirm in yourself and say them to yourself every morning. For example, “I only book work that makes me happy” or “I am confident, calm and capable”.
- And lastly, while traveling to work or castings, take the time to notice all the beauty around you. There is beauty in everything if you look for it. As models, we are incredibly lucky to be able to travel the world and experience new countries as part of our work. Do yourself a favour and take a moment to really experience wherever you are currently based.
At the end of the day we are in charge of our happiness, and starting each day on a positive note can have a huge impact on one’s overall happiness. Be kind enough to yourself to give yourself the chance at a positive, happy life by developing whatever morning routine sets you up for success.