On my first trip to India I, like most foreigners, was more than hesitant to eat or drink anything from the street, lest I be struck down with some or other terrible virus. On my second trip to India, I eventually plucked up the courage to try sugarcane juice – and so my love affair with this miracle liquid began.
As a bit of a health nut, and a vegan, having a sweet tooth can be tricky. Thankfully, sugarcane juice is the perfect sweet treat to curb any cravings I have, but even better, it has plenty of health benefits too. So for this model Monday, the following is a list of why, in my humble opinion, all models based in India should be drinking sugarcane juice, or gana ka ras in Hindi.
- It’s cheap. No need to break the bank to reap the rewards of sugar cane juice, as it only costs Rs 15 a cup.
- Sugarcane juice is rich in antioxidants and so helps fight infections and boost your immunity. It is also rich in calcium, magnesium, and iron as well as electrolytes; making it a great drink for when you are dehydrated. As if that’s not enough, sugarcane juice is also surprisingly high in protein. All this combined makes sugarcane juice a wonderful aid to fighting infections, colds, a sore throat and fever.
- Ironically, it helps prevent tooth decay and bad breath, keeping your smile perfect.
- Sugarcane juice is alkaline, so is great for treating acidity caused by a “I’m too tired to cook properly after shooting all day” diet.
- It’s a diuretic, so maintains proper functioning of the kidneys and can be used to help treat kidney stones and urinary tract infections.
- The protein found in sugarcane juice helps to strengthen the liver (great for curing a hangover).
- Sugarcane juice is a wonderful energy drink thanks to its nutrient density, making it a perfect between-castings-pick-me-up. So put down the sugary poison you may otherwise be drinking, nature has given you this perfect solution for fatigue.
- If you need to lose weight, sugarcane juice can help. It acts as a detoxifier and is high in soluble fibre, so can be used as part of a gradual weight loss plan.
- The antioxidants, phenolic compounds and flavonoids in sugarcane juice help keep skin soft and supple, while giving you a natural glow from the inside out.
- And lastly, sugarcane juice helps fight acne and keep skin clear.
Well there you have it, ten reasons why sugarcane juice is a must for all models based in Mumbai. However, this is something that you buy on the street though, so please ensure that you drink it fresh and make sure that you are cautious during monsoon season. Otherwise, happy drinking!